.....and other random stuff......

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Love the Water


I love to be near it, I love to be on it, but I don’t really like being IN it. 

Unless it’s chlorinated.

I tend to be regarded as a large piece of bait by sea creatures.

Case 1: I was about fourteen and was invited to a friend’s cabin on a lake. We decided to swim to a neighbors for a visit. As we were swimming I felt something ‘brush’ up against my foot. I climbed up onto the dock and there, jaws clenched firmly around the side of my foot, was a large fish! Needless to say I freaked! It never broke the skin, but it creeped me out. I WALKED back to the cabin.

Case 2: Ocean City Maryland—As I pop up out of the surf and try to wipe the water from my eyes I realize it’s not just water but a gelatinous blob of JELLYFISH on my face! EEEEk and ouch!

Case 3: Fire Island, NY----It’s a hot day so I go to sit in the water to cool off. I sit down in about six inches of water. (Seriously, it was barely deep enough to get wet, much less support any wildlife!) As I sit I feel something pinch me! I managed to find what was probably the last surviving scallop in the Great South Bay! (There hadn’t been scallops in the Bay for years because of salinity changes.)

So now, the only water I immerse myself in is chlorinated!
(To the best of my recollection, this is what the fish looked like that attached itself to my foot, lo those many years ago!)

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure there's a 'chlorinated foot eating fish' out there somewhere waiting for you Robin...LOL. Love your painting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a history like that, I too would be so inclined. Yikes! Your fishy looks downright diabolical ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picture and a wonderful story. I'd feel the same way if that happened to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a concrete pond in the back yard! But watch out for those alligators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take that back...can I take that back?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having read your most recent post first, I have to ask: how can you be comfortable in a pool that houses baby snakes?? That would totally freak ME out :) Then again, I'm from a place where the most dangerous animal... uhm... I don't believe we HAVE any ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the ocean since Jaws came out. I didn't know sharks could come so close in as they do. Ignorance is bliss and it can be so rudely taken away as your stories show. Baby snakes in the pool would keep me out of it too but maybe you can see whether there are any in there ahead of going in. My daughter has a dark pebbled lining in her pool so I wouldn't go in if baby snakes were an occurrence there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!