.....and other random stuff......

Thursday, August 16, 2012

I’ll Have Your Job


Long, long ago, in a land far away, I used to work as a telephone operator.
It was a god-awful job.
People say the most amazing things when they don’t have to look you in the eye.
Some were funny, some were sad, and some were just plain mean.
And if I’m going to be honest about this story, I wasn’t always a sweet-tempered individual myself.
I was known to let a snide remark slip my lips from time to time.
Totally deserved you understand, but still not very professional.
Chalk it up to youthful stupidity. And to the fact that sometimes (ahem) I say things without thinking them all the way through.
The worst time I ever got into trouble, I didn’t think I’d said anything that was really all that bad.
A woman was being unusually snippy and I was running out of patience.
She said, “I’ll have your job!”
My response was, “Be my guest, you can have it!”

She reported me to the supervisor who proceeded to put it in my ‘permanent record’.

(I still don’t think it was all that bad.)

3 comments:

  1. No it wasn't bad. I can think of a lot worse, No, I mean 'Better' things to say, but then we all think of those after the event! I don't suppose that 'Permanent Record' even exists anymore...or shall we start one up...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now, wouldn't we give our right arm to talk to a live person when dealing with customer service issues. BTW, I love your response and probably would have said the same thing. Permanent record? That's a real thing? I thought that was just a threat from the nuns

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL again! No it wasn't all that bad. I've had those types of jobs too where you can only take so much before you have to let one swing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!