.....and other random stuff......

Monday, June 30, 2014

Cracking the Creative Slump

I was staring at the whiteness of the blank page and getting nowhere, so I started to ‘bounce’ my pen tip on the paper making little ‘dribs and drabs’ across the page. I looked at the marks and decided to keep going. I continued just twirling and pushing and pulling the pen around the page, only holding the very end of the pen so I had little or no control over the marks I was making.
This is sort of like the exercises Carla Sonheim has you do in her classes to loosen up. She does it with watercolors and then has you turn the page around and look at your marks from different angles to ‘see’ what is there.

I always see faces, what else!
Then I went to Tablet and tried the same thing.
I’m not saying they’re masterpieces but it got my hand moving and that was the point. 


6 comments:

  1. What a great exercise to loosen up. I think the first face looks French! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the coolest! I often do that when sewing fabric together. I'll get a base sewn down and then look to see what it is. If it's nothing…I cut it up for bookmarks and business cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this technique!! these are both great. i love the hat on the top drawing...and what a great chin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the drawing. Looks like a French chef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE them! Carla Sonheim is great! I love her book, but I have also been lucky enough to take a couple of workshops with her. I too have been struggling with a creative slump, but part of it is because my days are too busy, and sometimes creating needs time.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!