.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Momma Never Told Me There’d Be Days like This!

When I went to school there was no such thing as health class. What we got, and this was for the girls ONLY, was an hour long lecture from the school nurse about the ‘changes’ that were taking place in our bodies and what to expect when we started our (said in whispered tones) ‘periods’.
It was rather rudimentary, but I guess it covered the basics. (I do remember a very simple drawing of ovaries and related accoutrement.)
But it gave a heads up, so to speak, to those girls who hadn’t already had ‘the talk’ with their mothers.  

I was thinking about this the other day and I think I’ve come up with another one of my scathingly brilliant ideas!
I propose a similar class for baby boomers on what to expect as we age.
I suggest this because, to tell you the truth, some of the things that are presenting themselves to me lately are blindsiding me!
Momma never told me there’d be days like this!

Okay, so maybe not a class ‘per se’…….
How about public service announcements?

Instead of running all those drug commercials and scaring us to death about diseases we never knew existed, how about commercials that say something like “Forgot where you put your ______? [Fill in the blank with whatever item you most recently misplaced] Not to worry! As you age this is just a natural progression!” 

4 comments:

  1. You made me laugh again today Robin. I so love your posts and I agree totally !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to parochial school. The "talk' when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Boys sent across the street to the church to have their talk with one of the priests. I think they got to play baseball or toss a football around. Sister opened up her Bible and began reading passages from The Book of Genesis. All I can vaguely remember is Begat, begat, begat, and then he "knew" her. Yup, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this!! I go to a water aerobics class twice a week at the Adult Wellness center. (Adult means over 50). I'm the youngster in the class so I have about 20 older "sisters" who share the joys of getting older with me :) At least I sort of know what to expect...ugh.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!