.....and other random stuff......

Monday, July 28, 2014

Wallpapering Savant

My father was a wallpapering savant.
He was an executive who hired out the menial jobs that needed doing around the house.
But when it came to wallpapering, this was a job he did himself.
Whether he liked doing it or just wouldn’t pay the ridiculous fees for someone else to do it I’ll never know.

He used to tell BigBrother and I, “Only small minds use small words!” but when he was papering I noticed he was the king of expletives! (I think that's where I learned my truck driver vocabulary!)

When he got done papering a room you couldn’t find a seam with a magnifying glass! And considering the repeat patterns my mother always chose that’s saying something.

When the room was done my mother took over.
With the leftover paper she would paper the switch plates, the wall sockets, the wastepaper basket and if there happened to be a desk in the room; the ink blotter, pen holder and any other accoutrement got covered too!

I would bring my friends over and challenge them to find the light switch!  

8 comments:

  1. Love the drawing 😊 I love how your stories are such gems needing a good picture 😊 you're such an inspiration & always bring a smile to my face 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yvonne, your drawings and stories bring a smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG and LOL, what an interesting childhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds if you stood still in the room, you'd get wallpapered over :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. that takes talent!! which is why i always have plain old painted rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had such an interesting childhood, Robin. I love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Sounds like your dad had many hidden talents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story!! I can envision it now-trying to find the light switch. wonderful drawing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!