.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Babysitting Years

Before I entered the official world of the working class I did the ubiquitous babysitting thing.
I worked mostly in a small neighborhood that was kind of a planned community.
The houses all looked the same, same porches, same front doors, same cedar shingles, same swing set in every backyard facing the same way.
And not a tree in sight.
Think Stepford wives.

But I digress.

One of my regular customers recommended me to her neighbor.
The neighbor called and wanted to ‘try me out’.
A test run, as it were, while she was there to watch over me and make sure I passed muster.
So off I went.

She informed me they ‘kept Kosher’. Did I know what that meant? Vaguely I said.
So she proceeded to show me around the kitchen with its double sets of everything.
I had no idea how vague my knowledge was until that moment.

Anyway, I guess I passed the first test and she booked me for that night.

She planned the meal so I wouldn’t be too confused.
Hotdogs.
I could do that.
She reminded me of the ‘meat’ serving utensils and dishes and off she went.

Dinnertime came; I meticulously got out all the proper dishes and accoutrement and made dinner.
I was feeling pretty proud of myself that I actually got it right.
The dinner went smoothly, they came home and off I went.

The next day she called.

I assumed it was to book me for another gig but instead she began to shout at me for being a dunce!
I couldn’t get a word in edgewise!
Finally, I managed to slow her down enough to ask what I had done wrong.

I had made a slight error she said ……..I served MILK with the hot dogs the previous night!
Oooops…….

6 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, poor you. And nowadays there is milk IN hotdogs, isn't there? At least overhere where we have a cow surplus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if the stupid woman hadn't told you what could she expect!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess SHE didn't plan dinner thoroughly...SHE omitted the beverage and you were left to hope and pray that your choice would be acceptable. Oooops to, “Mrs. We Keep kosher”. Never assume anything...especially anything as important as your faith and family!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did your best. She was an idiot. If she was concerned about keeping Kosher, she should have fed her kids herself before she went out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the time the Chinese medicine doctor told me my daughter was so sick because I didn't boil her soy milk before giving it to her, and I didn't cook her cucumber (His look said - how dumb can one mother be!) How are we supposed to know all of these rules in life! I am sure you took excellent care of the children, and they grew up with no major problems due to this.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!