.....and other random stuff......

Friday, December 29, 2017

Flash fiction Friday

“Don’t sell the land!”

Those were the last words my father ever spoke before he died. Sitting at his bedside in the hospital my sister and I looked at each other in total confusion.

We had lived our entire lives in apartments growing up. So had our father. As far as we knew he had been born in our grandmother’s apartment on Lewis Street. So an utterance like this was a mystery.

After the funeral we got to work looking though every piece of paper in my father’s possession. We looked in his office. We looked in his apartment. We checked to see if he had a secret safety deposit box, or maybe even a hidden ‘space’ in his apartment. 
We took our time and poured over everything looking for clues.

Nothing, nada, zilch.

For twenty years his dying words haunted us.

Then, one day, the mailman delivered an envelope with familiar handwriting on it. I wasn’t sure what I was seeing and I was even less sure I wanted to open it. It was distinctly my father’s handwriting.


After what seemed like an eternity of indecision I ripped it open. One single sheet of paper folded in half. 


Even from the grave my father could pull off one hell of a practical joke!


*This has been a work of fiction. 
Any similarities to persons living or dead are purely coincidental. 

2 comments:

  1. And I'd be yelling: Good thing you're dead, Dad, or I'd kill ya!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. O. M. G.

    Not sure whether to laugh or do what CJ said.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!