.....and other random stuff......

Friday, July 16, 2021

Can YOU Say Naïve?

I was well into my mumble mumble mumble (insert age when I should have known better) when we got Sammy.  It wasn’t the first time I had a dog but it WAS the first time where I was a major part of the decision making and care for the animal.

Sammy was a purebred Golden Retriever and there was much discussion about neutering. We had no ambitions of breeding him so after a few heartfelt talks we decided it was for the best.

On a bright and sunny day we drove him to the vet and after a few belly rubs and kisses we left him in the capable and loving hands of Dr. Kramer. The next day we picked him up…..complete with the cone of shame.

(I can’t prove it but I THINK he gave us the ‘stink eye’ as we put him in the car……)

When we got home I made a comfy, cushy bed for him (to assuage my guilt) and he climbed tentatively onto the pile of blankets I had assembled.  But, as he did his circling routine before lying down I noticed something…...or rather I noticed a LACK of something.

I must have audibly gasped because Husband looked at me quizzically and asked what was wrong. I was in such shock I couldn’t even articulate what I was seeing…..or rather what I was NOT seeing.

You see, Husband had had a vasectomy a few years earlier and I THOUGHT I knew the procedure pretty well. I thought that was the way they did it for animals too. SNIP SNIP all done! Easy peasy!

But apparently it’s different in the animal kingdom. They don’t just snip the vas deferens. Nope. They remove the testicles COMPLETELY!!!!!

I was…..surprised. No, I was aghast! And I felt so guilty that for the weeks following the ‘procedure’ I gave Sammy so many extra treats Dr. Kramer admonished me about his weight!

 

(Keep in mind while reading this that we had all of our cats neutered (before we got Sammy) and I didn’t think twice about THEM! Go figure…….LOL)

 

Throcky had a similar experience……



2 comments:

  1. Poor Throcky. I'm dying as I type this. I was rubbing Ink's belly when he was little. There were these tiny red bumps all over. Like 8 of them in two rows. I called the vet in a panic! Who knew male cats had nipples, too?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!