.....and other random stuff......

Friday, January 9, 2015

In Order To Get To Where You Want To Be, You Have To Know Where You Want To Go

It’s kind of a ‘Catch 22’ isn’t it?

In these first days of the New Year I find myself reflecting on where I want to take my art.
Problem is I have NO FREAKIN’ IDEA! 

I’m conflicted.
Do I want to really knuckle down and take a course on how to market myself? Do I want to spend more time on the computer, do the hard work and push my way into your mailbox?
Do I want to look for commissions?
Do I want to take more courses and join more groups?
Do I want to make more journals?
Or would I rather just draw?

I find myself flattered when asked for more of my art to sell at the galleries. On the other hand I find myself resentful of these requests. They take away time from what I WANT to do….whatever THAT is!

Ungrateful of me, I know!

I wonder if I really want to ‘be famous’ (you know what I mean…….. a name that is recognizable in the ever expanding ‘art world’ we’ve built here in cyberspace.)

The demands would increase and I wonder if it would be as fulfilling as I think it would be.
Or would I just become more resentful?

Could I teach classes? Either online or in person? What do I know that anyone would want to learn from me that they couldn’t just find on YouTube? (and then there’s the technical learning curve…..yikes!)

Would I be pigeonholed? Expected to always do the same things?
Would it bring me joy?

I watch some of the artists I admire. Authors, illustrators and art makers.
They go to conferences, teach art retreats, mingle and put themselves out there.
That makes me uncomfortable.

So, I think I’ll just stay here and do what I do.
Safe behind my monitor…….. just us.
The cozy little community we’ve formed.
I’m comfortable here.
I like it here. 


7 comments:

  1. I hope…and believe…that you will choose to do what makes you happy in the moment…and no matter WHAt that is…I'm SURE it'll be right for you…and will make US happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! They know me here... as they say. LOL
    Can be too much ugliness and just plain work out "there."
    I agree with your decision, stay happy.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. so many tough questions!! and i have no answers for you. but i'm glad you decided to stay here with us while you puzzle through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm........ I know the feeling!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you just gotta do what makes YOU happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So eloquently stated. I bet even the artists you admire felt like this or feel like this from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thinking Robin - I too have been doing some thinking along the same line - definitely do not want to be famous - definitely do want to be happy. Just figuring out what that is sometimes is difficult. I got a wonderful Christmas card in the mail this week. It makes me so happy, I have it decorating the kitchen window sill where it makes me smile every day.... and it is going to stay there for some time. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!