.....and other random stuff......

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Like Stories

I like stories. Other people’s stories. I even like to watch other people’s home movies! LOL
I don’t know why. But it intrigues me. I guess it’s voyeuristic in a way. To peek into someone else’s life.
I wonder, does this say more about me than the story to which I am listening?
Am I seeking something, filling a void? Do I like to live vicariously through other people’s lives?
Or is it a way to validate my own life. Sort of a comparison exercise?
As a kid my mother and I would go for drives in the evening and make up stories about the people we saw in the windows of the houses we passed.
I think that’s where it started.
Or maybe it started with the stories my parents told us about their childhoods.
What is it that drives us to chronicle, to record and categorize our experiences?

4 comments:

  1. I think the answer to why is all of the above...plus. I also think we record - and read records - to learn, to grow, to expand. And where's your sketch?!? Remember...Every Picture Tells A Story...Don't It?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like other peoples stories too, life, adventures, and generally what people do...it's interesting. I'm with Annie....'where's the sketch' LOL.....ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Robin...got me thinking. I wonder if we chronicle because we want to relive and perhaps summarize the experiences we have. I think there's a certain amount of validation we're looking for, and also approval, or are they the same things? I don't know, but I too LOVE other people's stories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too think "all of the above". Part of our brain is wired to relationships and we need to know how we compare to know where we stand.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!