.....and other random stuff......

Friday, October 28, 2011

Attila the Mother

I’ve been known as a rather strict task master. (I have no idea why! I’m such an easy going individual! LOL)
Anyway…….

I have certain expectations, shall we say.
I expect people to be kind and nice and polite.
I expect them to say please and thank you.
I expect when someone uses an item, that item to be replaced where it was found.
I expect when someone makes a mess that they should clean up after themselves.
And I expect this from my children too.

So one day when I returned home from work rather tired and wrung out, I was confronted with  various toys and papers and clothing strewn on the floor from the front door all the way into the house culminating in a pile of writhing giggling children and their caretaker, I lost it.

I don’t ‘yell’, I just go into lecture (aka tirade) mode.
As I did the ‘mother stoop’ bending over and picking up toys and other detritus I went on and on about cleaning up after yourself,  putting things back where they belong and personal responsibility, yadda yadda yadda.

In a fit of laughter, my friend who was kind enough to babysit that day, looked over at the boys and said, “Meet Attila the Mother!”

It stuck!

(As an addendum to this story, I have to say, I guess it was deserved but having said that I still don’t think my expectations are unreasonable! LOL)

5 comments:

  1. Well, I suppose if your boys cannot remember the occasion, then they weren't too bothered!....LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I expect the same. But nonetheless your story was delightful xx

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!