.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Really?

My father was a pacifist. He didn’t believe in corporal punishment. He lectured.
But that’s a post for another time.

This is about my mother.

SHE was the one who believed a spanking never killed anyone!

My father thought it showed a decided lack of control on the part of the adult.

But at some point a child grows too big to be spanked.

So when my brother reached age twelve or so, and grew taller than our mother, and developed a bit of an insolent attitude she was at a loss.

One day he mouthed off at her and she reached up to slap him.

He did what any self respecting person would do, he blocked her hand.

This infuriated her even more and she began to chase him around the dining room table, hand extended yelling, “Stand still so I can hit you!”

My father and I looked at each other incredulous at the scene playing out before us. He said to her, “Really? You expect him to stand still so you can hit him?”

She said afterwards she realized how ludicrous it was, but in the moment her frustration outweighed her logic.

It was a fun home to grow up in! LOL

5 comments:

  1. LOL... and here comes a yawning tale (bare with it)... when our kids were young, son being older could lord it over daughter...he always wanted to 'win' at everything but she would wind him up (as only little sisters can!)...until one day he couldn't catch her. Obviously I knew that if the promised 'thump' didn't happen he would, to this day, still be trying to catch her...so in frustration I said "Lil stand still so your brother can hit you" ! Obviously it worked but to this day Lil still remembers it...and do I feel bad...NO not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - both good stories - about REAL families!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stopped spanking our kids as soon as they understood language well enough to know what we meant, when "no" could have the why added to it. Then came the time outs but mostly, we just didn't need to anymore.

    Well, let me amend that. I did slap my daughter once when she was a teenager. We were arguing about something outside a Sears store. When she gave me the "evil eye" (a look that said she hated and could kill) I just reacted with a slap. It surprised us both! She still remembers it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my mother read the same parenting book your mother did. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, that's too funny - after the fact and out of reach of course :) And Ann's story, too :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!