.....and other random stuff......

Sunday, October 9, 2011

It’s Good to Know a Second Language


Seventh grade.
The powers that be decided we needed to learn a second language.
(I do give them credit for at least trying to teach us a language that would have some relevance.)
They decided we should learn Spanish.

The way they taught languages in ‘the olden days’ was to have us memorize scripted ‘dialogs’.
These were little exchanges between two people.
No wasting time learning vocabulary or conjugation! 
No sir, not for us!
We jumped right into conversations!

The sum of my four years of Spanish can be summed up in one sentence!
"¿Donde está la biblioteca?"

But if I ever go to a Spanish speaking country and need to find the library, I’m all set!

I’m sure it will come in very handy! LOL

4 comments:

  1. Ou e la biblioteque? I took French and memorized the question to ask to find the library but NOT the correct spelling! NOW, I wish I'd learned a little Spanish because it's coming sooooooooo slooooooowwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's useful - you never know when you are going to need a libery...libry....library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned to order haricot vert (green beans) in French class. And watching Star Trek Next Gen, I learned to swear in Klingon. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasame el pan, por favor! Y la mantequilla.

    Yep, that's what I remember from my Spanish classes. It did help though as when I went to live in Japan for a couple of years I realized they had pan too thanks to the Portugese so at least I knew what to call bread!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!