.....and other random stuff......

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Husband’s Retirement


I used to laugh at the women who told me to be wary of Husband’s impending retirement.
They said, “He’ll drive you crazy, just wait and see!”
I thought it was nonsense.
They just didn’t like THEIR husbands.
I liked mine. It would be different.

But a funny thing happened on the way to retirement.
He got whacky!

For a lot of our married/working life together we worked opposite shifts. Sometimes by choice (to tend to the kids) sometimes by happenstance.
But when he retired I guess he thought we should make up for this and be attached at the hip.

This was an entirely new experience for me.
I found it kind of endearing.

For about fifteen minutes.

Then he started to follow me around and tell me how to do things ‘better’.

I had kept house, had two kids, a husband and a full time job for twenty-five years and NOW he was telling me how to do it BETTER?

The last straw came when night after night he said, “Okay, time for bed!” and expected me to follow him!  (And no, he wasn’t inviting me for an amorous rendezvous!) He just expected constant togetherness.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Husband, but there are limits! And telling me it’s my bedtime is just going too far!

He has since returned to work (for economic reasons) which just may have saved the marriage! LOL

3 comments:

  1. Oh!, do I know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer to him about the doing it better part would have been If you @##$@ think you can do $%^%& better than be my $%#% guest! Or words to that effect. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I am finding that this is the norm. My husband retired so early because of his heart that it took years for my contemporary to find the same ting happening to them. I thought for the longest time it was just my husband. I now only clean house if he's outside working or gone ( he is almost never gone without me along though). When he gripes about the dirty house I tell him to leave and I'll get to it, period. He gets a little huffy but so what.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!