.....and other random stuff......

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hortense

I was fourteen and I had a HUGE crush on a high school boy. His name was Neil. He used to come to the Jr. High dances every Friday.

I think he liked me too.

One Sunday morning as my family and I sat in a booth at Reade’s drug store having breakfast Neil walked in.

Before I knew what I was doing I shot up from my seat and SQUEALED “Neil!”

EVERYONE in the ENTIRE store turned around to see why I had shrieked.

I was mortified!

Of course having my older brother make a big deal of it didn’t help either! I just wanted to melt into the plastic booth and die!

Moments later, a woman (who we didn't know) walked through the front door.

My father jumped to his feet and YELLED, “Hortense!”

The entire store started to laugh and everyone went back to what they were doing.

At the timeI thought he did it to tease me.
It wasn’t until I grew up that I finally realized what my father had done and why.

I didn’t know to say it then but,

Thanks, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. What a gift too! He must have been a very understanding dad as you grew up. My dad was also; much more than my mom.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!