.....and other random stuff......

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pipes

Water is a big part of our city here.
We are surrounded by it and have over 400 miles of canals filled with it.
We have two water processing plants.
We have duel water to each home (primary for drinking and secondary for lawn watering.)
It’s a vast and intricate system used to keep the streets from flooding and to provide us with water for living.
 These pipes are part of the whole complex system. They stick up out of the ground all over the city.
I had no idea what they were when we first moved here. They don’t have them (visible) up north. (I guess they would freeze if they were above ground.)
Over the years I’ve come to think of them as ‘urban sculpture’. I think they are quite lovely, always standing at attention come sweltering heat or torrential downpours.
Looking for something different and interesting to sketch I thought I’d give them a go. I might even turn it into a series (if my attention span doesn’t wane too quickly!)
(I also thought they’d be easy subjects [HA!] to sketch ‘en plein air’. But I have to admit I cheated this time. I took pictures and came home and sketched in the comfort of my air conditioned house.)


2 comments:

I appreciate your comments!