.....and other random stuff......

Friday, December 9, 2011

My Father Had Magical Powers


I believed this for the longest time growing up.
He used to say “I’ll make it snow tonight so you won’t have to go to school tomorrow.”
The next morning he would wake me to a world bathed in glistening white snow and say. “See, I kept my promise. No school today!”

He also had power over the brook that ran through our backyard.
It was called Troublesome Brook (a fact I was forbidden to mention when we were trying to sell the house, LOL) because when we had heavy rains it would rise and flood the neighborhood.

It would fill our backyard like a lake, threatening to flood the lower level of the house.
One time he took a piece of chalk, drew a line in front of the garage, pointed to it and said to the rising water, “You will NOT cross that line!” 
And it didn’t!
I was in awe!

2 comments:

  1. Wish I had your dad's power to prevent the basement from flooding when we get heavy rains

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the wonder of Dad's! Sounds like you had a great childhood.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!