.....and other random stuff......

Friday, January 4, 2013

The ‘Lip’


My mother could get me to do anything.
She played me like a violin.

I tend to be stubborn (LOL) and when I dig my heels in it takes dynamite to get me to change my mind.

But all she had to do was quiver her bottom lip and I was putty in her hands.
No amount of cajoling or discussion could sway me once I made up my mind, but the second that lip started to tremble I was done for!

I don’t know how she hit upon this little trick, but she used it sparingly.
With power comes great responsibility and she used hers wisely.

She used it mostly when I was a kid but I do remember one time when she was ill and wanted me to do something for her.  I was torn between doing it or going home to Husband and the boys. I said I’d do it the next day, which apparently didn’t sit well with her so she employed the ‘lip’.

Keep in mind I was a full grown woman with a husband and two kids of my own but the second I saw the ‘lip’ I was immediately transformed into a petulant six year old feeling guilty that I was letting my mommy down!

We always laughed after she employed her little trick, (which worked every time) but on this occasion she saw the look on my face and instantly stopped. She said she didn’t know it would still work and she was sorry for making me feel guilty!

I did do whatever it was she had asked, but after going home to see Husband and the kids! 

I’m not my mother’s daughter for nothing! J

6 comments:

  1. So did you ever find there was something you could use on your boys to get them to do what you wanted!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see you giving the lip...but as much as I know you love your mom...I can see it working on you! So funny that she recognized the look on your face and apologized. We mom's do what we have to!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see the answer to CJ's question
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you inherited the lip, but I did and can use it with my youngest daughter... the elder, not so much. But I too do my best to use it sparingly. Love the stories as always, as well as your lovely boat collage.... here's to being brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that she apologised... That stands out to me and almost makes ME cry! :) That responsibility - wow, I missed that growing up, and all grown with a kid of my own, I understand not owning up even LESS... Your mom was amazing! x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!