.....and other random stuff......

Monday, September 30, 2013

Whadya’ Mean I Can’t Talk?

 Talking is my go to stress reliever. My pressure valve.
Anytime I’m in a tense situation I talk. (Okay, even when I’m not. Shut up!)

When I was a baby, family lore has it my father couldn’t wait until I learned to talk. When I did he was said to comment, “Doesn’t she ever shut up?”
If you look at any of my childhood report cards there is ALWAYS a comment on my being a pleasant enough child but ‘talks too much’.
When a new boy from Greece, who didn’t speak any English, came into our class the teacher said, “Put him next to Robin. It’ll be the fastest way for him to learn.”

I talked before they knocked me out for my tonsillectomy and woke up still talking.
I talked through my entire amniocentesis.
I talked …..well, you get the idea.
So when they told me I COULDN’T talk during the biopsy I was all, “Wait…..WHAT?”

That’s right, can’t talk. You need to lie perfectly still.

The reason I talk is so I don’t have to think about what’s going on. If I have to keep stringing words together I can’t ponder the consequences of what’s happening.
I know...denial is my middle name!

So I told the doctor and the nurse to keep up a running commentary during the procedure. I didn’t care what they talked about..…the weather, politics, music, religion, men.
It didn’t matter.
Just talk.

Turns out it works almost as well as when I’m doing the talking.

I don’t think the Xanax had anything to do with it……. 

5 comments:

  1. So, what did they talk about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did the Greek boy learn English quickly sitting next to you? Lol Hope the biopsy results are negative

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you're 'talking' about an old biopsy here!

    and yeah...what about the greek boy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep quiet and leave you to do all the talking then! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so have liked to have you sit beside me and do all the talking for me. and with your delightful antics I am sure I would have been grinning all day long! (I too hope you are talking about a biopsy in the past days)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!