.....and other random stuff......

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Patience

I’m impatient. 
I think that everything I do should come out a masterpiece the first time. 
I am totally disappointed when it doesn’t.
Is this the dirty little secret that ‘professional’ artists don’t tell us? They don’t get it right the first (or second, or third….) time either?
Maybe we should shout it from the rooftops. 
Maybe then I wouldn’t feel so inadequate. 
Maybe it would help our kids know that nobody gets it right the first time.
Edison failed miserably for most of his early life. 
He failed with the light bulb thousands of times before he got it right.
The difference is he kept going.
Most people don’t.
So here’s to perseverance (with a big dollop of humor.)
Heads down people and let’s keep going!

3 comments:

  1. You've totally shattered my illusion, thought I was perfect everytime! ...no, not really. Perhaps we should do a post of our totally failed works, bet someone would think they were really good (or maybe not, mine would take up too much reading time)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perseverance. Now that's a bad word even if it isn't four letters! I am not good at that. It's got to come out right the first time around or I want to quit. Now that I am over 50 I am trying to be more grown up so I am trying really hard to persevere more often and it's still a bad word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good advice. It's something we forget in a blaze of frustration and failure. Now I think of it, for every piece of show on flickr or my blog, there are 10 failures that I turn the page on. Aaaah...imperfection!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!