.....and other random stuff......

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sunday School And The Pennies

I can’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember my first day of Sunday school.

My mother gave me five brand new shiny pennies.
But she neglected to tell me what I was supposed to do with them.

When I got home my parents asked me if it was fun.
I said a resounding YES, reached into my pocket and pulled out a fistful of pennies!

They were appalled, needless to say.
And of course I got the ‘talk’ about stealing, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I didn’t think I was stealing.

They passed around a basket of pennies for goodness sake! What was I supposed to think? When adults pass around stuff to kids you’re meant to take some of it aren’t you?
Like candy at Halloween?


I still remember being confused as they marched me back to the Sunday school classroom and I had to tell the teacher what I did and give back the pennies….all of them. 
Even the five new shiny ones my mother had given me! 

7 comments:

  1. It makes perfect sense to me what you did back then! Very pretty illustration, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D cute story. And I would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Poor little Robin! Some of those crazy traditions they have at church confuse me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who could resist a bowlful of pennies!! that would buy a lot of bubble gum back then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...that is SO funny. I can just picture you there helping yourself as the basket went past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor you! They should have told you what to do and so should the teacher! Why is the kid the one who was responsible?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Timaree. You would have thought the teacher would have explained it a wee bit better. I mean come on! I bet you were thinking Bazooka bubble gum.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!