.....and other random stuff......

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Talkin’ Powder

My mother grew up in a small town in upstate New York where they have a slight but very distinct accent. Coupled with her father’s (and Grandparent’s) English accent, sometimes certain words were difficult to distinguish.

So she was just slightly confused about her grandmother’s talcum powder.

She thought they were calling it ‘talkin’ powder’!

She would tell the story of how, for hours on end, she would sit at her grandmother’s dressing table, lean in very close to the powder can and try to hear what it was saying!

This story used to send me into gales of laughter!

I could just picture my mother as a young girl sitting next to the powder can and waiting for it to talk!

What exactly did she expect it to say?


5 comments:

  1. :) I love hearing your family stories. Please write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh out loud! Talkin' powder!! I love it! I remember seeing jars of "vanishing cream"--well, you can imagine what I thought about THAT. BTW, what was the upstate NY town?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think you should write a book too...it would be hilarious, you have such a sense of humour! Oh, and I remember those tins of talc, your drawing reminded me of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL :) Love the story :) & concurring with the book-writing-suggestions! I wish I had only half your ability to remember stories like that, never mind writing them down the way you do! LOVE the sketch, too :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!