.....and other random stuff......

Monday, February 6, 2012

Story Starters


When the boys were in elementary school, getting them to write was like pulling teeth.

They were required to keep a journal (no spelling or grammar counted) because the school thought this was a good way to encourage creative writing.

They mostly drew pictures of ninja warriors and Mutant Ninja Turtles. (What can I say? They were creatures of their times! LOL)

Then the teachers thought writing and illustrating their own original book and reading them to us on Parent’s Night would be a good incentive.
Not.

I asked them why it was so hard to write and they told me it was hard to think of anything to write about.
So I started them off with the first line of a story and told them to finish it. They were off and running!

That’s how I came to invent ‘Story Starters’.

I would write the beginning of a sentence on a piece of paper,
"Once upon a time…"
"It was a dark and stormy night…."
"A long, long, long time ago…."
"In a place far far away…"
"Call me Ishmael….."
"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times….."

(Adding the lines the little ones needed to write on) copy them, stack them up, add padding glue and viola!
 I gave them to the teachers to hand out to the kids as needed.

The teachers were happy, the kids were happy, I was happy. A win win situation all around.

(It never was the ‘get rich’ scheme I thought it might be, because apparently, it’s not an original idea! LOL)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea!...wonder what schools do nowadays. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prompts are one useful tool! My son refused to do the journaling in school. He wasn't telling those teachers anything! Now he works at San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant and I bet "not telling anything" is a good plan there too considering the recent two problems they've had.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!